Violating my Apple TV Warranty in 4 easy steps
If you feel like violating your AppleTV warranty, here’s a quick how-to. You’ll need:
- One Apple TV
- A putty knife (optional)
- A set of Torx screwdrivers
1. Unplug the AppleTV. Remove the power plug and cables. And while you’re at it, kiss the warranty goodbye. The AppleTV runs hot, so you may want to let it cool down before you proceed.
2. Peel the rubber backing off the bottom of the unit. I used a putty knife to get things started, but if you have good nails or better dexterity, you can probably skip the putty knife.
3. Use a small Torx wrench (T10) to remove the four corner screws. The screws come in 2 different sizes, so make a note of where each screw originated.
4. Gently pry off the back panel. There’s a ribbon cable holding the disk drive (on the back panel) to the rest of the unit, so use caution.
When you’re done oggling, replace the back panel and tighten the screws back in place and gently return the rubber backing into place.
More: continued here