Washing-machine engine power kid’s tractor, motorcycle skis, high voltage magic, stocking cap goggles…
Great stuff over at Modern Mechanix!
Popular Mechanics 1948, back when 3 years old drove around more…
“Driving his own gasoline-engine tractor, three-year-old Gus Dobert of Nashville, Tenn., is the envy of youngsters of his neighborhood. Made by his father, a machinist, the small tractor has a two-cycle washing-machine engine. Power is transmitted by a V-belt and sprocket chain. The gear ratio insures lots of power but little speed. The clutch pedal tightens the belt on the pulleys.” – Link.
Motorcycle Skis (Feb, 1950) – Link.
High-Voltage Magic (Sep, 1949) – Link.
Stocking Cap with Goggles Shields Your Face (Dec, 1936) – Link.
- Modern Mechanix. Yesterday’s tomorrow, today – Link.
- HOW TO – Convert a tractor to electric – Link.
- HOW TO – Turn an old tractor seat into a great shop chair – Link.
- Old School DIY Farm Equipment – Bill Whitaker’s … – Link.
- The World’s first fully-tracked vehicle – Link.
- Farm dragsters – Link.
More: continued here